Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Violet Krumbein's "Human Painkiller"

"Human Painkiller" is a really funny and terrific show, and I'm not just saying that because it's written by and starring my friend Violet (formerly of the Ghosty Teens) and directed by Megan Neuringer (a fellow member of the clan DeCoster).

I like this show a lot, so much so that I'm seeing it again tonight. I almost never see things twice! And you'd be surprised to hear this, but I'm not that keen on watching comedy shows. I do it all the time, but I don't often see stuff I love.

Too many of them, especially solo shows, seem focused on presenting us with five different character monologues and in selling the performer to an agent (and I understand, that's the business). Sometimes the shows are funny, even hilarious, but it's all too rare that I'm like, "You can tell that this person wrote something that they're really into."

And that's why I loved "Human Painkiller." It's so Violet! At first it seems a little crazy, but bit by bit you realize it's also incredibly savvy and quite possibly brilliant (just like Violet). I don't wanna ruin anything, but it's a one-act play, not a series of sketches or monologues (so I'm immediately more invested because there's a story) and she sings, tap dances, and has a puppet.

And it's... pretty weird.

But I think that's important, vitally important, in comedy, for people take risks or do something that might fall flat but they believe in it and care about it and are like, "Eff it, I think this is funny and it's what I really want to do" and are willing to try something different on stage. And not just for the sake of being different, but because it's who they are.

When I saw "Human Painkiller" for the first time, I was just so inspired and found myself thinking, "I wish there were more shows like this around." And maybe there are and I don't know about 'em, but I'd like to spend 2009 seeing stuff that, in the words of Mitchell, "freeze me up and turn my legs to putty."

So get used to it, readers, there might be some plugs in this blog throughout the year, but they'll only be for things I genuinely enjoy and make me want to Yes. Hopefully, you'll also Yes and see this show.


"Human Painkiller"
Wednesday, January 7 and January 28 at 8 p.m.
UCB Theatre - 307 W. 26th Street (west of 8th Ave.)
Tickets: $5, click here for reservations

No comments:

Post a Comment