Thursday, January 29, 2009

Let's Moving!

No, not me, stupid, I'm on a lease. But tomorrow I'm supposed to help my friend Heather move.

Normally I would say NO to such a thing, because I'm lazy and weak and hate helping other people, but two years ago, she helped me move when I was in a pretty desperate situation, and I take such debts seriously (it reminds of an old Dungeons and Dragons campaign I ran, where two of the players ended up owing a huge favor to this creepy goblin Druid. The favor was never called upon, but when the campaign ended, the players were still troubled that one day he was going to pop up and make them pay. It haunts them to this day. I love it. And here's a pic of him I drew, many, many years ago).


There's only one other such debt in my life, since Matt DeCoster (he of the terrifying bokken) helped me back in 2004, into my third apartment (I'm currently on my sixth and final one). I just happened to mention that I was moving that weekend, and he offered to help. One day, I'll pay him back, though I don't expect him to leave his apartment any time soon - I think he's lived in the same place in the six years I've known him.

I hate having debts (but doesn't everyone?), and that's why I don't even have any credit cards. I'm pretty sure I live debt-free (though one day some forgotten goblin from my past might show up to claim my firstborn or something), other than some shared expenses I owe Sarah and the unpayable debt I owe to my parents for giving me the greatest gift of all: a Spuds McKenzie stuffed animal they got me one Thanksgiving, which makes no sense, they don't understand how gift-giving works, but I loved that Spuds so much and for so many years.

But more than debts, I hate moving (but, again, doesn't everyone?). And my latest moving escapade was such a nightmare that I never want to do it again. First of all, it was just me (not just lazy and weak, but still recovering from my wisdom teeth) and Sarah, who is so small she fits in my pocket, carrying up a couch and table that were too big to fit through the doorway. What a nightmare, thankfully solved by removable legs and a late-night purchase of a screwdriver.

It's better when people help you, obviously, and at least tomorrow I won't have to deal with the hardest stuff: driving the van and trying to find a place to park. That stresses me out, and not just because my driver's license is expired. Mindlessly carrying boxes up and down stairs and elevators, that's fine, I actually kind of enjoy it as exercise and moving and looking at other people's stuff, but the thinking and the packing and making things fit and, like, "Who's gonna watch the van?" All that stresses me out to no end.

Also, there will be sandwiches, so I've got that to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment