Wednesday, January 21, 2009

TV Pastabilities

Here are some suggestions for the next TV show I should say YES to in 2009.

- The 4400
- Cupid (the original series with Jeremy Piven)
- Spaced
- Torchwood
- Dexter (I never saw season one!)
- Wonderfalls
- Entourage (Sarah: Assholes think it's funny.)
- Dead Like Me (I really enjoyed this series, but never finished it.)
- Six Feet Under
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- Twin Peaks
- Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
- The Venture Bros.
- The Sopranos
- Red Dwarf (more for Sarah's enjoyment than mine, as I've seen these so many times I practically have them memorized, but she hasn't.)
- The Wire
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- The Singing Detective (I should just buy this. Out of everything I've ever watched on Netflix, this is what I think about the most. It haunts me.)
- I, Claudius
- Rome (Seen it! But I'd watch it again.)
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (and Smiley's People, if it's good)
- Freaks & Geeks
- My So-Called Life
- Square Pegs

(Friends of Kirk will enjoy guessing which other friends suggested which titles.)

I'm very interested in seeing Deadwood (because cursing cowboys are good), but I might want to start with a shorter series (so Wonderfalls or Freaks & Geeks might get picked first).

Spaced is also a good choice, because the episodes are just 30 minutes long. Plus, funny. It's a comedy, right? I think it's a comedy. But the Adult Swim stuff is only 15 minutes long. That's twice the savings!

I want something that I can finish relatively quickly (so epics like The Sopranos or The Wire will have to wait), because I also have to watch all these Disney animated films for research.

Last night I saw Bambi (it was boring and stupid!), tomorrow I'm probably going to watch The Sword in the Stone again, even though I've read the T.H. White book literally a dozen times.

Life is hard when you're me.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts on items from your list:

    Spaced is amazing and, yes, short and funny. You'll finish it way fast (two short British seasons, eps only 30 minutes). It's 100% worth your time. So highly referential!

    Cupid is a really charming show. I'm horrified by the remake, but I adored the original.

    I got super sucked into Dexter and still think the first season's overarching storyline is the best of the three. That show is so good, man.

    I own Wonderfalls and you can borrow it if you want. The last several episodes kind of lose their way, I think, but it's a really sweet, quirky show. Thirteen eps. Easy.

    Twin Peaks is best watched with a group, I think, because there are some dark times where you'll want to shout, "WHAT THE HELL?!?" and you need someone to respond.

    Another option: watch all of A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twin Peaks! As of today cbs.com has all the episodes online.

    I also recommend Freaks & Geeks, Carnivale, Dexter, and My So-Called Life. I have very much enjoyed some of the other shows on the list (sopranos, six feet under) but there's a lot of episodes and if you're like me you'll get bored.

    ReplyDelete