Thursday, July 23, 2009

Let's (Totally) Hell's Kitchen!

I take back what I said in May - I am TOTALLY watching this season of Hell's Kitchen.

The two-hour premiere was this week, and holy crap is it insane!


The clips on the site don't do the show justice, but see this guy above? At the end of the second episode, this former Marine just flipped out and was about to attack Gordon Ramsay. What a cliffhanger!

I was so shocked by the bizarro of it all (not to mention the near fight between Van the Texan Chef and Jean-Phillippe the Maitre'd, whom I always thought was a fictional character) that I had to ask my friend, a producer of the show, how much of this was fake and how much was real.

Her response: it's all real. Regarding the Marine's outburst, she said, "It was like everyone was shocked and silent in the control room because we had no idea what was happening. It was a crazy day."

I can only imagine.

HOLY CRAP, I AM HOOKED.

2 comments:

  1. It is a crazy show, but I kind of hated that it is. It was just a bunch of incompetent/annoying people who can't cook getting yelled at, and then a few of them yelling back. Very little to nothing about actual cooking. Terrible.

    I love Top Chef/Top Chef Masters. I like that everyone is generally knowledgeable about cooking. I like seeing the celebrity chefs.

    I actually liked Gordan Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. But this Hell's Kitchen (US) show seems terrible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find fascinating about this season is that it's like people going on Survivor and then rebelling against the producers about the squalid living conditions.

    Didn't these contestants know what they were getting into? Didn't the producers screen everyone to make sure they weren't insane? Or maybe they just picked the worst possible people so the audience could watch a huge fireball.

    Hell's Kitchen, as far as I can tell, has little to do with being an actual chef, it's all about running a kitchen, and that's why I started to lose interest.

    Also, I've really liked the episodes of Top Chef Masters that I've seen so far (just the first two, I think).

    ReplyDelete