Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Let's (Less) TV?

I realize I've been literally watching a ton of TV lately, and that's no good, since I have enough places to go and people to see without idling away the hours in front of the TV.

Jiminy Christmas, I went through our series manager on the DVR and there's all this junk on it. So I've decided to let go of a number of series starting this fall. But who stays? Who goes? It's like my own little reality show right here.

- American Idol. While I love the audition episodes, I never get so into the actual competition. It'll play in the background, I usually don't care one way or the other, and then I fast-forward through the results show. So clearly I don't wanna watch this very much.

- Make Me a Supermodel vs. America's Next Top Model. There's only room in my life for one modeling reality competition, and I'll reluctantly choose Tyra over Tyson. Every effing season Tyra Banks breaks my heart, because the one model I'm really rooting for (be it the girl with autism, the punky girl with a mouth full of marbles, or, in this season, Allison the Hobbit) never wins. This season hurt especially because Allison made it to second place, totally deserved to win, and did not.

Like any abusive relationship, I should just walk away, but it's hard because the good times are really good. And next season is all about short models, so I'm willing to give it one last chance.

- Hell's Kitchen vs. Top Chef: Masters. Thoreau said "Simplify, simplify" (I only know this because he was quoted in Calvin & Hobbes), and he's right - I should only watch one cooking reality show, too. Actually, it's kind of stupid because unlike Project Runway or Top Design, you can't really appreciate the finished product - you can't smell or taste anything because scientists are lazy and haven't built food-o-vision yet.

This is a tough call, because I really do like Gordon Ramsay and I know someone who works on the show, but it DOES seem similar every season, and... Thoreau told me to simplify. So while I might tune in to Top Chef: Masters, just because it's about actual talented chefs, I don't think I should return to Hell's Kitchen.

- The Fashion Show vs. Project Runway. I'm not hating on The Fashion Show so far, and I'll want to see Project Runway on its new channel, so this is the one indulgence I'll allow myself - I get to watch both fashion-based reality programs.

- The Celebrity Apprentice. Eff it. Two hours long. I don't know how or why I got started on this in the first place. I just happened across it one night and then look where it got me.

- The Amazing Race vs. Survivor. This was my first season of TAR and it was pretty good. Redheaded cheerleaders and a deaf guy? Sure! And I've been with Survivor since year one (true, we took a short break, but that's what happens in life). And next season they're going to Samoa! I wanna go to Samoa! I know they probably don't make those cookies there, but they might. These are the types of show where if I watch the first episode, I'll want to stick with it. And I'm probably gonna watch the first episodes.

Then there's the scripted stuff, of which there is surprisingly not much. But that'll all stay.

So looking at the above, I'm saving about six hours a week. That's not too bad.

I just wish Kid Nation was still on the air.

2 comments:

  1. oh jeez, i miss kid nation!! it will never come back though. or, it won't came back until CBS has new head people who don't hate it completely.

    hell's kitchen is nothing like top chef. one is a restaurant show and one a chef competition. look at me! convincing you to watch more television! (also, watched chopped, a self contained food competition show on tuesday nights... end plug)

    i watched a make me a supermodel marathon one day out of boredom/laziness and found myself liking it. top model is basically the "tyra show about tyra being tyra" which is good for the crazy, but not a good modeling competition. my friend saw alison on the subway last week! he said she wiped her nose with her arm and was much prettier in person. does that just make you angrier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm torn between Tyson and Tyra myself. Wednesday nights are a crushing wave of model and modelesque reality TV (Supermodel, ANTM, and the RW/RR Duel II). Except for American Idol, I'm surprised we don't hang out more.

    ReplyDelete