Thursday, May 28, 2009

Let's Puzzles! (II)

So I bought two more puzzles last night, but it's OK. They're FINE ART. And Disney.



(I have buyer's remorse on the first, since I don't like Winnie the Pooh. But I felt bad that they didn't have the one of the Seven Dwarfs' cottage, which I really wanted, so I overcompensated. Maybe I'll return it. MAYBE.)

Also, looking at the thousands of puzzles on Amazon, I am shocked and appalled by how ugly the art is on most of them. Am I usually this picky in real life? I like to think not, but looking at the puzzles, most of the time I'm like, "Ugh, why would I want to spend my time putting together THAT?"

It's like, photographs? No, thanks. I think photos make bad puzzles. Don't ask me why. Yet one of the few puzzles from my childhood was a photo. Of a panda. I enjoyed that one.

And yet most art/illustration looks so ugly. It's like a horrible nightmare and makes me want to punch myself in the face until I die. I'd put up more pics, but seriously, just do a search for jigsaw puzzles, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I miss my old puzzle, with all the Marvel superheroes. It was great, but then my dog ate one of the pieces. This was one of the most heartbreaking (non-violent) moments of my childhood. I should have framed it.


I love this illustration. It's so weird. The races stick together, and the Hulk looks uncomfortable to be standing so close to Power Man. What gives, Hulk?

Meanwhile, Mephisto and the Silver Surfer are duking it out, Man-Thing is just inexplicably chilling in the DEAD CENTER OF THE PUZZLE BECAUSE HE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVER (why did they put him there?!), the Beast is checking out Howard the Duck, and Nightcrawler is like, "Eff that, I'm not gonna stand by Skunk Girl. I'm just gonna sit on Galactus's shoulder," and then Captain America goes, "All right! Puzzle time!"

And that's what puzzles are all about, Charlie Brown.

1 comment:

  1. there is a new puzzle cafe here. they have small puzzles that you can do for free while you are drinking your coffee but you can also purchase puzzles and when you do, they will save them and you can keep coming back to work on them. they also give you paste so you can preserve it at the end. and they offer framing services. we are working on a van gogh currently.

    ReplyDelete