Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let's Pancake Battle: Batter Blaster!

So I bought a thing of BatterBlaster and blasted up a batch of pancakes.

It's mildly interesting to make them, since it's like shooting out ReddiWip, only it's batter and you then cook it up on the griddle! Sad that I can't summon up more enthusiasm about such a novelty, but I have to be honest: it's only mildly amusing. And that's me being generous.

Maybe I was doing it wrong because the batter seemed to be a bit foamy, and the pancakes would sometimes have a skin similar to the flakiness of a croissant. I probably was doing it wrong, actually - Batter Blaster doesn't seemed to be made for silver dollar pancakes, just the big kind. So I made a few big pancakes, too, and they seemed to be a bit better.

The others reviews I'd read seemed to be in line with my batch: these pancakes lacked the fluffiness and airiness I've grown accustomed to. They were like a carpenter's dream: flat as a board and dying for a screw. What? I just mean they were flat.

"But how does it taste?"

In a word: Soulless.

Seriously. I was like, "What's missing here?"

And the answer is soul. These tasted like those frozen pancakes you can buy and eat and they're fine, but they lack that spark of life that is so great in homecooked food or anything bought from a fast food restaurant.

I ate them, but for the first time in a long time, I was not psyched about the pancakes.

Batter Blaster? More like Badder Blaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment