Thursday, April 16, 2009

Let's Folk! (The Recap)

Boy, I must sound like a Johnny Come Lately, but Flight of the Conchords was an incredible show! What a great time! So inspiring!

I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much since I didn't know any of their songs, but that just made it better. Each song told a story, so I was always engaged (lyrics are usually my weak point in music... I never listen to them), and since it was my first time hearing the funny bits, I laughed a lot. Also, most of the ha-ha had to do with rhyming, and rhyming is one of my three favorite things.

Another realization that everyone else who's ever heard them has already realized: they're very good songwriters! Even if I didn't understand English, I'd still be like "What a great song!" Some of them were just so damn pretty, it made me wanna weep. In particular, that song about Jemaine's ex-girlfriends, which people know, and the one about a tour guide giving a tour of his town, which I don't think people do (a friend of a friend remarked that he'd only heard it on a rare mp3... but who knows, maybe everyone knows that one. I am ignorant of everything.).

Also, music is fun. Seeing two guys (well, three including Nigel, who played one of my three favorite instruments ever, the cello... He also played the steel drum and the shakers, which aren't so high up on my list) play guitar and a toy piano and a keyboard and an OmniChord, that's pretty good.

And their banter is pretty spectacular. Just low-key and nice. If that's what the New Zealand sense of humor is, then I'm a fan.

2 comments:

  1. Related to your aside...
    I once had a minor crush on a woman. Then, the first time I walked into her room, I saw a cello propped up against a wall. My kness just became weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also happen to have a popular television show.

    ReplyDelete