Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Let's Wesley Dodds?

Dragon*Con is fast approaching (NEXT WEEK?!?!?!), and I'm starting to stress about costumez. I know that's a silly reason to get stressed, but eff it, this is one of the few chances I get to escape from the normal boundaries of human fashion, so it leads to the age-old question, "What am I gonna wear?!?!"

For daytime antics, it's simple. Cakey's the star, I'm just the guy who carries him around and passes out stickers. I'll be in my nice li'l tie and vest ensemble, fine and dandy like sour candy.

But at night... when I'm out dancing with Ms. Marvel... what do I wear? What do I wear? What do I wear?! Last year I had a borrowed Ghostbuster uniform, my priestly vespers, and a gnome outfit (which went unworn), but should we change things up in 2009?

Maybe it's just that I've been reading Sandman Mystery Theatre (and a huge thanks to Will He Be Hines for giving me the series), but I'm really tempted to dress up as Wesley Dodds, AKA the Sandman.


It's not the hardest costume (I've already got the suit), but there are some things holding me back.

- The gas mask. I already own one (reused from ZombieCon), but I'd prefer to buy a new one that looks more accurate. But that's wasteful, isn't it? I need to be conserving my money, not throwing it away on a more authentic gas mask.

Additionally, do I even want to wear a gas mask during a hot sweaty Atlanta night? That thing pools up water and it can get pretty gross.

And then let's not forget that nighttime is for fun, not for posing for pictures (at least, that's my plan). A gas mask would seriously hinder my visibility and ability to just hang out with The Others.

- The Sandman's sleeping-gas gun. An important accessory, but I'm not gonna even try to build one, because I don't want airport security asking me why I have 1) a gas mask, 2) a weirdo gun, and 3) a cake puppet.

- No fedora or trench coat, although both of those can be easily obtained.

- This guy:


I'd hate to be the half-assed Sandman, compared to the more accurate Sandman (though, in my opinion, he ought to be wearing gloves).

Last year, I'd feel a sting of pity when I'd see a cool costume next to a lame one (and trust me, if there are two Sandmans in a room, everyone's gonna want to take a picture of them together). I don't want anyone to pity me.

But all in all, it comes down to what I want to do with my evenings. Do I want to continue dressing up in a cumbersome costume... or do I want my eyes and hands and body free so I can take pictures and dance and socialize?

Last year, I felt better being in something "easy" like the Ghostbusters uniform. The priest outfit got me more attention than I would've liked (but I might wear it anyway), and chances are I'll still feel that the Gnome costume is inappropriate for evening wear. It was a way of blending in without getting too much focus, leaving me free to roam about.

So... I dunno. Let's Wesley Dodds?

No comments:

Post a Comment