Monday, August 17, 2009

Let's Book It!

Boy, August sure seems to be a bad month for blogging. Too hot, dreaming about Dragon*Con, not much going on... but then I had that "Let's Do Things!" list from a few days ago, how'd all that go?

Starting with the Greek naval battle re-enactment last Thursday, to put it simply, I didn't go.

But before the Laughing Cow can say "FAIL," let me explain! I booked something and had to shoot that instead. Whee, booking! And it was an... interesting experience, to put it nicely. Lot of Year of Yes moments in there, I guess.

It starts with a phone call from the casting director, always a source of excitement. Booked it, yes! Two-day shoot, hooray! Moneyz, that's the best part! But details of the shoot are non-existent - the production people will call me with all the info... but no one ever calls.

At around 8 p.m., I finally hear from someone in wardrobe. We talk about a few outfits I should bring (having to bring my own clothes = first warning sign that this ship might not sail so smoothly), but he doesn't know when or where the actual shoot will happen.

Slightly nervous, I talk with someone else who booked it and we share concerns that we haven't heard anything. We vow to tell each other that once we know what's going on, we'll share it with the other.

I never get a call or email from the production people, but luckily, my friend does, and he forwards everything to me.

However, I don't happen to see it until 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, and find out I have to be there in an hour. Yikes!

Now I have two options: 1) Say, "Screw it, I'm in the right if I don't show up. No one told me anything!" But the trouble with this is that sure, I'm right, but I could end up losing the gig... and the moneyz. 2) Shag ass to get down there in time.

I choose the second option. Better safe than sorry. Finally, breathless, I arrive on the set, only to be told, "Nah, we don't need you til tomorrow. Go home." Suxor!

In the middle of the day I get a call from both the casting agency and the production company saying, you know, "Sorry for the mix-up. We only need you for tomorrow," but to quote Homer Simpson, "Sorry doesn't put thumbs on the hand."

DAY TWO. I show up on time. I hear from my friend that the previous day's shoot was, and I quote, "rough." 8:30 a.m. to 10:20 p.m.? Yeah, that's rough. So I know I might be in for a day of fun, fun, fun.

Shooting is a lot of "Hurry up and wait." I get my clothes pressed, my makeup on, and I sit down with the rest of the actors and watch Wayne's World. I do a bit of walking around in the background (at which point I wonder, "Wait, am I an extra?!"), then settle down to read my book.

About six hours later, I do my piece. It's assumed that I know what I'm doing and how I'm going to do it, but no one's told me what to do, they just started rolling film. Whoa! So in my soon-to-be-famous "caught looking at a guy's wiener" scene, I try several facial expressions: guilty, angry, shocked, psyched, scared, anything that I'd find amusing. The crew seemed to find them funny, and that's what's important, really.

Then a nice lunch, another few hours of waiting, and I get released.

And another crossroads comes up: We're told to invoice the company, (further evidence that this ship is in troubled waters). I have to face this chilling challenge: do I charge for one day or two?

I choose the second option, because 1) I was originally told it was a two-day shoot, so I kept my day clear (thus turning down any freelance work), did the detective work and shagged ass, and 2) If I don't stand up for myself, no one will, because I don't have an agent to handle this mess.

Advice from most people followed the "Book 'em for two days, but expect to get paid for one" route, so we'll see how it turns out.

Sucks that I missed that Greek naval battle, though.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the production you were booked for should get a massive, enormous... FAIL! Seems totally amateur.

    ReplyDelete