Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's Spaced!

As part of my never-ending quest to watch good TV, I just finished Spaced, that British TV show with Simon Pegg (of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, a movie so good I saw it in the movie theater... twice!).

For obvious reasons, I always thought this show was set in outer space (I had it confused with Hyperdrive, which stars Nick Frost), so it was a little weird getting adjusted to a sitcom about two roommates.

Anyway, what a nice show! As Daisy says toward the end of the series, "They say the family of the 21st century is made up of friends, not relatives. Then again, maybe that's bollocks." Well, I don't think it's bollocks. These characters were a surprisingly sweet little family of friends, and during the 14 episodes of the series, I really grew attached to them.

One thing I'll say about the British, though, they do like to make a short series. And sometimes that's for the best. I'd rather end it short and sweet and go away with a happy memory of Tim and Daisy, go out on a high note, rather than see it played out past its welcome.

Also, it looks like they had a fun time creating this, and that's something I always find inspiring. There's nothing better than making stuff with people that make you laugh, you know, and if I can one day do something like this, then my time here on your planet will not have been in vain.

So now I'm looking for something else to occasionally watch, especially since summer turns network TV into a dead zone. I'm thinking of re-doing The Singing Detective, since I think about it all the time, or maybe exposing Sarah to Red Dwarf, since that's such a near and dear part of my youth (up through Series V. After that, it lost a little bit of its luster.).

In other news, my brother is getting married this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Here are some really amazing series whose first season DVD box sets are less than 15 feet from you right now:

    Jericho
    The Sopranos
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

    Just wanted to go on the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need another Britcom fix, try Black Books. It stars several secondary cast members from Shaun and Spaced, plus Spaced cameos :-)

    ReplyDelete