Sunday, November 16, 2008

6 Days Till Disney!


These Disney posts has been heavily skewed toward EPCOT Center, so I thought I'd give a a shout-out to Disney's Animal Kingdom... specifically, Expedition Everest!

I've never been on this ride (it opened in 2006, so it's still pretty new), but hot damn am I psyched to go on it. In case you're not aware, it's a roller coaster, and I really do love roller coasters.

A good one, a really good one, is about as close to flying as we can get in our human form, and that's one of my favorite feelings, and can reduce me to screaming things like "Hotchee motchee" (one of the catch phrases of Jay Sherman from The Critic).

Since I don't really know what's gonna happen on this ride, I don't have many specific things to write about, but...

- Look at those train tracks! Someone destroyed them! And you know who it was? It was the Yeti, AKA the Abominable Snowman. I'm really psyched to see this audio-animatronic, and am a bit disappointed I saw a spoiler on Flickr (and that would've been the pic for this entry, but it's copy-protected). I was psyched about the Yetis over at Disneyland's Matterhorn, but they were really weak. The Yeti over at Expedition Festival is supposed to be terrifying.

- Most of the Disney roller coasters, I admit, are kind of weak-ass. Space Mountain is fun, Big Thunder Mountain's interesting to look at, and Splash Mountain is a great dark ride with one big drop, but they don't get me screaming nonsense words (Space Mountain, I admit, is pretty fun, mostly because it's in the dark). And although Aerosmith's Rock 'n Roller Coaster is exciting and goes upside-down, the entire theme (you're in a limo traveling to an Aerosmith concert) isn't very Disney for me. I'm hoping that Expedition Everest tops all of 'em.

An interesting/concerning note: Sarah dislikes fireworks and roller coasters (although I think she should ride the "Mountain" ones, since they're all tame. I'm fine skipping Aerosmith.), but she loves hotels, so I'm curious if this vacation will be a bust for her, as I wind up dragging her by the arm through the parks. Which I'm perfectly willing to do.

3 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG! That's what Expedition Everest does to me, it makes me type like a tweenage girl, it is SO fun. Did you know it goes backwards? That's all I'll say. Its awesome. Also, your Disney posts are so exhaustive that maybe you've already mentioned this and I've missed it but you MUST eat/drink a Dole Whip from Adventureland. (Frontierland? I forget.) All I know is that the Dole Stand is in front of Swiss Family Robinson and it might be the best tasting thing ever. Pineapple sorbet floating on pineapple juice. get it. End of Over-Excited Disney Rant.
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, the Dole Whip is going to get a post all to itself (if I can find a pic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tower of Terror is also legitimately so scary and insane and I love it. I can also provide you with pics of Dole Whip if the need arises. I have a whole album devoted to it.

    ReplyDelete