Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I Heart Mary Cherry

So what else did I do last weekend? I attended a Popular viewing party.

An acquaintance of mine invited me, and even though I'm unfamiliar with the show, it sounded like it could be fun. On the other hand, a roomful of strangers is quite a painful situation for me.

Other than Crystal (the hostess), I'd only know one person who might show up. This being the case, would I take it as a Year of Yes opportunity, or would I let my fear of strangers and uncomfortable situations make for yet another No?

I made the half-decision to only go if Hallie did, and Crystal was very understanding about my cowardice. She said she'd keep me informed about Hallie's RSVP, and that was that.

I think about this all week.

About two hours before the party, still no word from anyone. By this point, I don't think I'm going. I take a bath, and, out of a nagging obligation to the Year of Yes, I text Hallie... just to be sure.

I don't expect a response.

I get one.

She's going.

And that means I am, too.

It's a lot like going swimming when I visit my parents at Christmas. The pool is pretty cold - bearable, but still pretty darn cold. Am I gonna do it? Should I do it? Is this a dumb idea? Will I regret it? Forget it, I'm jumping in. Crap, I'm jumping and here comes the water and now I'm in and it's always, always totally worth it.

Same with this party.

Crystal's friends were delightful, the snacks were snacktastic, and the show was great. Words can't express how exciting it was to meet Mary Cherry, the most deliciously cartoonish villain I've seen in a long time.

And Hallie didn't show up until about a half-hour before I had to leave. I'm weirdly proud of this fact. It kind of means, despite all that pre-party nonsense, I was able to do it on my own.

And it was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment