Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hair Adventure Recap

Result: It's pretty good!

But before I go into the details of this fascinating hair adventure, I need to tell a little backstory.

A long time ago, I used to go to this nice place in the Village that probably specializes in exotic (read: Asian) hair like mine.

Then, for whatever reason - maybe I lost my job and didn't have money to throw around, maybe I just stopped caring - I started going to the Russian barbers, who are cheap and satisfactory. Plus, they offer straight-razor shaves when I'm feeling masochistic.

But this being the Year of Yes, and being that I am now ridiculously wealthy, I decided to go back to Lupe. This was last month for the hairstyle change, and that was an awkward reunion, let me tell you.

Lupe: It's been a while! I haven't seen you since I first started working here.

Kirk: Wow, that long, huh? Like a year, right?

Lupe: No, that was three years ago.

Yeah, a bit awkward. I always feel weird about breaking up with a barber or a doctor or a restaurant, and returning after a a long absence... oh, the guilt.

What a backstory! Now on to last weekend.

As mentioned before, this was my first time getting my hair dyed. My mom and grandfather dyed their hair regularly, and most of my significant others were regular dyers, too, so I've got some second-hand experience with it and figured it'd be exciting.

I was pretty wrong, it's boring. I liked having the dye painted on, but then you sit for 20 minutes reading a magazine. I imagine things are still too awkward between Lupe and myself to converse for all that time. I earned the solitude, I disappeared for three years, after all.

Anyway, you know the result - it's pretty good! My hair is a lot more brown than it used to be (it used to be dark brown/almost black), but all the gray is gone. It's pretty subtle - the only people who've noticed are my hair-savvy friends.

I'm unsure about shampooing it, though - am I supposed to buy treated shampoo? Lupe says yes. Lynn (who dyes her hair all the time) says no, and Julie (a veteran of many a dye job) says no, since I didn't bleach it, and as long as it's a nice Shampoo, like Finesse or Biolage or the kind with Oscar the Grouch on it.

So I'm a bit unsure about that.

PS: I'll be honest, I don't think this constitutes an "adventure," but I don't feel like changing the title of this entry.

1 comment:

  1. 1. The lack of photographs is disappointing.
    2. I generally just use a gentle shampoo -- nothing that says it'll get your hair "really really clean!" because that stuff'll strip the Hell out of the color. Also, I only wash every other day, particularly when I've got dyed hair, so that you're cutting in half the number of times that you're abusing the color.

    ReplyDelete