Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Let's Musical Improv! (III)

I did it!

It was... not easy. But not hard, I guess. I dunno. It's hard to remember.

My favorite part was warming up vocally with everyone, since that's something I haven't done in almost ten years. Yeowch! And I thought, "Oh, right, we're also supposed to actually sing well."

And beforehand I'd asked some folks for simple advice, like, "What's the one thing you should know if you're going to do a musical improv set?" And the best answer I got was that your character should have a strong want - that's what you're probably gonna end up singing about.

And it was fun! A little nutso, but what improv isn't, and I actually sang two songs.

I've never been smart when it comes to musical machinations (I dunno the proper term for this, but things like fifths and eighths mean nothing to me), so I think I was paying too much attention to what the piano player (who did an incredible job all night) was up to, like if the chords were going to change or if we were moving into a different direction.

Then on top of that, there's the lyrics, which I'm responsible for. Yeowch! For some reason, despite being told to the contrary, I kept thinking the song should rhyme, and so that was a hard habit to break. I think that tripped me up the most. But I love rhyming so much, I don't know if I WANT to break that habit.

So we'll see how things go on Sunday. I hope it is a fun day. Four people are going - will my love of musical improv be growing?

See? Rhymes.

No comments:

Post a Comment