Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Let's Maine! (The Recap)

Back from Maine, but I've already posted the best part: that puking episode we experienced on the ride up from NYC. But then again, nothing could ever top that story.

Other highlights!


- Walking the breakwater in Rockland! It's a 7/8-mile walk out into the water, which equals 959 slightly uneven stones (I counted on the way back). I did this all by myself while Sarah was at her uncle's wedding, and it was pretty fun. Like, I got this sense of accomplishment for having done it, and when I reached the end of the breakwater (where there's that lighthouse), I pumped my arms, victory-style, for a whole minute.

- Eating at a combination KFC/Taco Bell, because I'm just like you, America.


- Shopping at Renys, "your favorite Maine department store." I came very close to buying this 30 Rock 2009 calendar for fifty cents, but decided against it.


- Since the Sunday rains ruined the Common Ground Country Fair (which was my Maine reason for visiting... also, please see what I did there), we just drove up and down US 1, which made me want to drive up or down the entire US 1 from Maine to Florida, and see all the sights there are to see. Points of interest included Heavenly Bean Bags.com and Perry's Nut House, which naturally has a mummy on display.


- Eating at Moody's Diner. Split a seafood platter (still 0-3 for getting a lobster roll while in Maine) and a very good piece of four-berry pie. "When I get hungry, I get Moody" said a sign in the diner, and I could appreciate that little bit o' wordplay.

- On the ride home, this baby in front of us kept saying the word "fuuuck" whenever she saw a truck. She also 1) threw broccoli on Sarah's shoe and 2) pulled the hair of the girl sitting in front of her. Still, this was no puke-tastrophe. Also, this old lady sitting next to us hummed offkey the entire trip from Maine to Boston, culminating in "Amazing Grace."

- Sitting in the front seats of the upper level of the Boston-NYC MegaBus. It was pretty cool! I alternately felt like I was in some motion-simulator ride or Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies, because we were up so high.

It's actually only that interesting while in Boston and NYC. The big stretch of highway in-between, while offering several sights worth seeing (mostly into other people's cars), gets rather redundant after a while.

And that was Mainely all that we did.

3 comments:

  1. I see what you did there.

    Don't forget 3) pouring a liter of water on the seat and floor of the bus.

    By the way, that is the best Maine-ly pun I've ever seen, and I'm a native. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On of my absolute FAVORITE things in the world is Moody's 4 berry pie. My dad goes to Maine a lot. Whenever he does and I am in the area, I insist that he get me a 4 berry pie. You can buy them frozen, bring them home and cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Basically you did what I've been meaning to every time I visit my family. If you went to the Reny's I think you did, you were like so close to my grandparent's house. NUTS!

    And I still haven't been to Moody's, but I am demanding we stop when I am there (presumably) for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete