Thursday, April 10, 2008

Eating... Still Hard.

A few examples... with hyperlinks!

1) I tend to buy snacks almost daily, because now that I'm eating earlier lunches, I get hungry and bored later in the afternoon. The most popular snacks in my life are King-sized packs of Twizzlers (which, even though I share them with Sarah, somehow last for a few days) or a four-pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (which I immediately eat... alone).

At a recent trip to The Outpost (1515's snack shop), Sarah convinced me to buy trail mix instead of candy. It was initially more expensive, but this stuff has lasted about a week so far, so it's pretty cost-efficient. And I know nuts and dried fruit are better than faux licorice.

I sometimes feel like the Cookie Monster being told it's good to eat things like carrot sticks and raisins instead of just cookies all the time. And I'm just a moronic Muppet that's like, "Whoa! Healthy food is good! Om nom nom nom, me love carrot sticks!"

This example is my only "victory" over the whole eating thing.

2) When I opened my desk drawer to look at the brand of trail mix a moment ago, I saw my container with one last little brownie bite in them.

I can't stop baking brownies. I really can't. And not only can I not stop baking them, I can't stop eating them. Case in point: that last brownie bite is now gone.

3) Last Sunday I had a novel idea - what if I tried to eat healthy throughout April and abstain from drinking?

The food thing because it's obviously weighing heavily on my mind, alcohol because there are a number of high-profile parties this month (notably the 2008 Derbytaunt and the notorious Wig Party), and I thought it'd be a good exercise in self-control and will power to abstain for the month of April.

Later that day, after the Series IV premiere of Doctor Who, the Who Crew celebrated in style at ChipShop, where I not only had fish and chips (how can one even look at the Fisherman's Platter after tasting the real deal?), but a Crown-stamped pint of Boddingtons.

(Why did I pick Boddingtons, out of all the British beers? Because it's the "pride of Manchester," and Manchester is the location of Life on Mars, an excellent show. Seriously, that's how impressionable I am.)

So that whole idea of a healthy April lasted... maybe six hours.

4) The soy milk? There's still some left.

5) As soon as I post this, I'm going to meet my friend Julie over at Crapplebee's to eat horrible things.

This isn't fully my fault. My well-meaning grandparents gave me a gift card to the restaurant for Xmas. Normally, I would probably never eat at this restaurant ever, and I mean that seriously, I could spend the rest of my life without setting foot in one. Or a Chili's. But not, I hope to God, an Arby's. Or an In-N-Out Burger.

Anyway, it would be a breach of etiquette to not use the gift card and so, after four months of making plans and canceling, I'm gonna do it.

Also, it's creepy/interesting how many of my friends wanted to be my eating partner in this adventure. Nearly everyone I told was like, "Oh, I'll go with you!" like Crapplebee's is the splendor of the Earth. I'm still a little confused and amused about that.

So, yes, eating... still hard.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to clear out this gift card on ridiculous foodstuffs.

1 comment:

  1. This is totally irrelevant but "om nom nom nom" is one of my favorite phrases.

    ReplyDelete